Wanless Tennis House League 2019
Wanless Tennis offers co-ed doubles House Leagues throughout the season. Wednesday and Sunday Evening House Leagues will be held in the spring, summer and fall. Daytime House League is held Tuesday afternoons in the spring and fall.
House League playing times will be as follows:
- Wednesday Evening – 7 PM to 8 PM (2.0 – 3.0), 8 PM to 9 PM (3.5-4.0), 9 PM to 10 PM (4.0+)
- Sunday Evening – 7 PM to 8 PM (3.5-4.0), 8 PM to 9 PM (4.0+)
- Tuesday Daytime – 1 PM to 2 PM (2.0-3.0), 2 PM to 3 PM (3.5+)
The spring schedule for 2019 is as follows:
- The Spring Wednesday Evening League runs from April 24 – June 19 (Raindate June 26)
- The Spring Sunday Evening League runs from April 28 – June 16 (Raindate June 23)
- The Spring Tuesday Daytime League runs from April 23 – June 18 (Raindate June 25)
Wednesday Evening Format
A match consists of 14 doubles games or one hour whichever comes first. Games are played with a three point deuce to maximize the number of games completed in an hour. A single point is credited to your team for each game won and will be accumulated towards an aggregate team score for the session. Prizes will be given out to the members of the winning team at the conclusion of each league session. Participants should expect to play at least 4 or 5 of their team’s matches.
Tuesday & Sunday Evening Format
Players are assigned to courts based on their self-ratings to provide for fun and competitive matches each week. Players on each court can decide to play with a three point deuce or play out deuces, whichever they prefer.
Players shall self-rate themselves using the Tennis Canada rating system based on their Serve and Backhand ability. The House League organizers use your self-rating to match you up with similarly skilled players, so please be realistic about your self-rating. No one enjoys or benefits from a lopsided match.
Joining a team is a commitment as your House League peers expect you to be present at your scheduled matches. When registering, you will be asked to list those dates you are not available to play, and you will be scheduled accordingly. Note that if you are not available for four or more dates, the organizers may have to move you to the “spare list”.
Plans change, things get scheduled, and life happens, so it is understood that you may become unavailable for a scheduled match. If you find that you are no longer available for one of your scheduled matches, it is your responsibility to find a substitute to play for you. You should:
- Advise your team captain that you cannot play,
- See if one of your similarly rated teammates can substitute for you,
- If none of your teammates are available, send out an e-mail to the similarly rated players on the “Spare List” (players not assigned to a team) to see if one of them can substitute for you,
- If no one on the spare list can substitute for you, use this form to submit a spare request. Please note that submitting a spare request a few hours before a scheduled match is not the level of “taking responsibility” that is expected and that your responsibility does not end with sending out a spare request — your responsibility is to ensure that someone substitutes for you.
Changes for 2019
While Wanless House Leagues are immensely popular and fun, one of the recurring complaints is participants not organizing a substitute when they become unavailable. To try and address this issue, we are making two small changes to the Wednesday night House League:
- Team captains will be expected to take on a more active role. While team captains are NOT responsible for finding spares, they will be expected to send weekly reminders to team members of when they are scheduled.
- Clubhouse Monitors will be taking attendance at 7:00, 8:00, and 9:00 PM and reporting unfilled absences to the House League organizers. If you repeatedly don’t show up without finding a replacement, the organizers may suspend your House League privileges for the next session.
To get the weekly results, as well as information and links to registration, see the House League topic on our member forums.