Wanless Tennis House League 2020
The Wanless Board is following the City of Toronto’s protocols to aid in helping to keep our members, staff, and community safe and healthy when using our facility. The following activities are temporarily suspended and will be potentially adjusted throughout the season as new tennis protocols are released from the City:
- Junior and Adult Team activities
- Social Events
As the City of Toronto moves to Stage 3, we are now able to offer our popular co-ed doubles House League Program to our members. This Fall, we will offer our Wednesday Evening House League which will run from September 9 to October 21. Playing time will be as follows: 7 PM to 8 PM (2.0 – 3.0), 8 PM to 9 PM (3.5-4.0), 9 PM to 10 PM (4.0+)
Wednesday Evening Format
- A match consists of 12 doubles games or 55 minutes whichever comes first. NOTE: We are modifying the format this season to 12 games and 55-minutes of play to allow for proper COVID-19 court sanitization in between games.
- A single point is credited to your team for each game won and will be accumulated towards an aggregate team score for the session.
- Games are played with a three point deuce to maximize the number of games completed in an hour. The receiving team has the option to decide who receives the serve on the 3rd deuce point.
- Prizes will be given out to the members of the winning team at the conclusion of the session. Participants should expect to play at least 4 or 5 of their team’s matches.
Players shall self-rate themselves using the Tennis Canada rating system based on their Serve and Backhand ability. The House League organizers use your self-rating to match you up with similarly skilled players, so please be realistic about your self-rating. No one enjoys or benefits from a lopsided match.
Joining a team is a commitment as your House League peers expect you to be present at your scheduled matches. When registering, you will be asked to list those dates you are not available to play, and you will be scheduled accordingly. This year, because of COVID-19, we will also ask you to name a preferred playing partner as part of your House League registration. We will do our best to ensure ‘preferred playing partners’ are appropriately scheduled. Note that if you are not available for four or more dates, the organizers may have to move you to the “spare list”.
Plans change, things get scheduled, and life happens, so it is understood that you may become unavailable for a scheduled match. If you find that you are no longer available for one of your scheduled matches, it is your responsibility to find a substitute to play for you. You should:
- Advise your team captain that you cannot play,
- See if one of your similarly rated teammates can substitute for you,
- If none of your teammates are available, send out an e-mail to the similarly rated players on the “Spare List” (players not assigned to a team) to see if one of them can substitute for you,
- If no one on the spare list can substitute for you, use this form to submit a spare request. Please note that submitting a spare request a few hours before a scheduled match is not the level of “taking responsibility” that is expected and that your responsibility does not end with sending out a spare request — your responsibility is to ensure that someone substitutes for you.
While Wanless House Leagues are immensely popular and fun, one of the recurring complaints is participants not organizing a substitute when they become unavailable. To try and address this issue, we have put in place the following rules for our Wednesday night House League:
- Team captains are expected to take on a more active role. While team captains are NOT responsible for finding spares, they are expected to send weekly reminders to team members of when they are scheduled.
- Clubhouse Monitors will be taking attendance at 7:00, 8:00, and 9:00 PM and reporting unfilled absences to the House League organizers. If you repeatedly don’t show up without finding a replacement, the organizers may suspend your House League privileges for the next session.
To get the weekly results, as well as information and links to registration, see the House League topic on our member forums.