Annual Adult Club Tournament
The Annual Adult Club Tournament events will commence on June 1 and continue until September 30. Awards will be presented at the AGM and BBQ in October. To participate in the Club Tournament, players must be available to play their matches as per the schedule for the category chosen.
NEW for 2019
The singles and doubles tournaments will run separately to avoid conflicts. Below is the schedule of play for all categories. Please book these dates in your calendar when you sign up as there will be no exceptions made – excluding rainouts. Balls will be provided by the Club for the final match in each category.
|Level||Women’s Singles||Men’s Singles|
|A||June 1 – Aug 31||June 1 – Aug 31|
|B||June 1 – Aug 31||June 1 – Aug 31|
Singles: players must schedule their own matches and ensure completion by Aug 31.
All matches for this category will be run during the 4 day weekend as noted.
|Level||Mixed Doubles||Women’s Doubles||Men’s Doubles|
|A||Thurs, Sept 5 – Sun, Sept 8||Thurs, Sept 12 – Sun, Sept 15||Thurs, Sept 12 – Sun, Sept 15|
|B||Thurs, Sept 19 – Sun, Sept 22||Thurs, Sept 5 – Sun, Sept 8||Thurs, Sept 26 – Sun, Sept 29|
Doubles: players must be available to play on these days at the scheduled times.
- Thurs & Fri, 7-9pm**
- Sat, noon – 4pm
- Sun, 10am to 4pm
**Matches may be scheduled during the day but only if all 4 players are available.
The tournament will consist of 10 divisions in the following categories and formats. We are anticipating a minimum of 4 entries per category. The Tournament Manager may choose to run a category even if there are less than 4 players/teams in a category.
- Men’s Singles (A and B levels)
- Women’s Singles (A and B levels)
- Men’s Doubles (A and B levels)
- Women’s Doubles (A and B levels)
- Mixed Doubles (A and B levels)
If a division has 6 or less participants registered, a round robin format will be played out with the top two teams within the round robin playing off for the championship.
The format for all 5 categories will be Single Elimination.
Members 16 and over as of January 1, 2019 may enter. Juniors who have previously won their ‘Under 16 singles’ event, or the Junior Doubles event, may enter those Adult events, if they wish. Eligible Juniors who choose to enter Adult event(s) cannot also participate in the same category of event(s) at the Junior level.
Find a Partner: We will attempt to match up players if someone does not have a partner. Please register as normal and select the “Find a Partner” option.
Previous Division Champions: Champions from the prior year’s B Division Tournament are not required to enter into the A Division in the current year. They may choose to if they wish.
The draw sheets for the singles category will be posted and maintained in the clubhouse and on the website. The draw sheets will identify the pairings for each match/round and the date by which each match must be completed. These match timelines have been developed to ensure every participant has the same opportunity to play their matches.
Please respect your fellow participants and make every effort to play as soon as possible within the specified timeframe. If a weather delay occurs, all players are required to arrange to play as soon as possible.
- Arranging Matches: For all opening round matches, the player whose name appears at the bottom of the pairing is responsible for contacting his or her opponent and scheduling a mutually convenient time to complete their match within the required match timeline. Please coordinate single match bookings promptly to ensure matches are played by the deadlines.
- Missed Match Timelines: Match timelines are necessary to ensure the entire tournament is played prior to the end of the season while also respecting the many other uses of the courts throughout the season. Matches that are not completed within the Match Timeline are subject to a potential ‘coin toss’ to determine the winner. Prior to determining if a coin toss is necessary, the Tournament Director will seek information from the participants to determine what factors may have influenced the missed deadline. These factors may cause a situation whereby one participant is awarded the match. Please do not let it come to that.
- Match Scoring and Reporting: Winners must inform the Court Monitor in the clubhouse of the match results immediately upon completion of the match. If the clubhouse is closed, winners shall leave a message on the club’s answering machine (416.483.4546) on the day of the match and / or notify the Tournament Director. The Court Monitors will record the score on the Tournament Draw sheets posted in the clubhouse and on the web. The player is still responsible for contacting the clubhouse during operating hours or checking the draw sheets on the web to identify their opponent for the following round.
- Players are NOT permitted to book more than one time-slot for the same match (as insurance in the event of rain). If a match is affected by rain, and court time is unavailable to the players prior to the Match Timeline, contact the Tournament Director to assist in rescheduling the match.
- Players will NOT be permitted to exceed normal court booking limitations simply because they are registered for too many events within a 7-day cycle. Please manage your time accordingly. If you experience difficulty in arranging a match prior to the Match Timeline, contact the Tournament Director to assist in rescheduling the match. The Court Monitors are not to be put in a position of having to circumvent court booking rules by tournament participants.
- Court Time Limitations: Courts can be booked for a maximum of 2 hours for each match. Other than for Semi-Final and Final matches, should a match not be finished by the end of the 2-hour court time, the game that is in play will be completed and the player who is ahead at the end of the 2 hours will be declared the winner.
- Semi-Final and Final Matches will be played out to completion. If a Semi or Finals match extends beyond 2 hours, the players registered for the court after the match will be held off by the Court Monitors and other arrangements made for those players.
For Doubles matches, the courts will be booked for the matches and players will be assigned times.
When booking a court for a tournament match, players should identify that it is for tournament play when booking the court. This ensures that the Tournament Director and the court monitors can easily see that all tournament events/rounds are proceeding smoothly. It will also allow the Director to resolve scheduling difficulties that may jeopardize the successful progress of the tournament. Tournament matches are entitled to be booked for 2 hours.
Pace of Play: Players should arrive for their matches 10 minutes prior to the start of their court booking and check-in at the clubhouse. Warm-up time is a maximum of 10 minutes. Players who are more than 10 minutes late for a scheduled match will automatically forfeit the match and the opponent(s) that was on time will proceed to the next round.
Format: Each match is best out of 3 sets, with the winner moving on and the non-winner being eliminated.
Tie-breaker at six all.
Deuces: Deuces will be played out in full for all matches. Players may choose to agree prior to the match to play a ‘single deuce’ format, however that decision must be made prior to the match starting and be unanimous. If one player wishes to play deuces out, then they will be. Keep in mind that the 2-hour time limit will be enforced.
All matches must be played at Wanless Tennis Club.
Rain Interruption: In the event of a rain interruption, play must start from the last point played. If possible, players should agree on a new date to resume the match at the time of the delay, or one player take the lead to reschedule it as soon as possible.
Coaching: No coaching or outside interference is allowed once a match has begun. If this occurs, the non-coached player has the right to immediately take the game (current game only) as his/her game won.
Ball Exchange: Each participant or team will bring a NEW can of balls to each match. The winner of the match keeps the new balls for the next round and the loser keeps the used balls.
Umpires: There will not be umpires at any matches. While the tournament is intended to be primarily for fun, it is also intended to be played properly. Players are reminded to call the lines fairly and give the benefit of the doubt to your opponents for close calls. Rules shall follow Tennis Canada’s “Rules of the Court”.
Dispute Resolution: The Tournament Director’s decision is binding in case of any disputes. If you feel the Tournament Director is being unfair or unjust, please feel free to join the Board and volunteer for the role next year.
Adult members who would like to participate in the tournament must register by the deadline indicated below.
|Singles||May 1 – 15 midnight|
|Doubles||May 1 – Aug 15 midnight|
Enjoy the Tournament … May the Sun Shine and the Balls Bounce In!!!
If you have any questions, contact the clubhouse at 416.483.4546 or send an email to the Tournament Director, Joyce Lee-Assang.