Wanless Tennis Adult Teams for 2020
Wanless Park Tennis club fields six competitive inter-club adult teams playing both home and away matches. There are two men’s evening teams (Toronto Men’s Tennis League), two women’s evening teams (Toronto Ladies Tennis League), two women’s daytime teams in two different leagues (Toronto Ladies Tennis League) and (North York Tennis Association). These teams compete in various categories against other tennis clubs in the City of Toronto. We also field a variety of Junior Teams. More late breaking information may be found in the Adult Teams and Junior Teams topics on our member forums.
Please note the team policy has been updated and each Wanless team will no longer be reimbursed for food/refreshments for each adult team home match.
For Junior Doubles home matches, Wanless will continue to cover the cost of pizza and refreshments.
All teams will have tryouts open to all eligible members. Guideline information and contacts are provided here.
2020 Tryout Structure and Dates
Tryouts will be held at North York Winter Tennis north bubble, located at 2975 Don Mills Road West behind Oriole CC.
There is one date per team tryout plus a makeup date is offered. Please make every effort to attend the tryout date for the team you wish to be on, the makeup date is really being offered as a backup not as a primary tryout date.
You must attend the tryout for each team that you are interested in to be considered. You can try out for multiple teams, in 2020 you will be allowed to be on a daytime team and an evening team.
If there are too many qualified players who wish to play both daytime and evening, then preference will be given to those who can only play in one time slot. You will be asked to indicate your team preference as part of the tryout process, please indicate in the comments whether you are interested in playing for more than one team.
Registration for team tryouts is mandatory and will be available at a later date.
The cost per tryout is $10 (which includes HST) and must be paid in advance per the instructions provided during the registration process. Cash will no longer be collected at the tryout itself, so if you haven’t paid in advance, you will not be able to tryout.
Rules of Tryout Play
- Each player on the court plays 2 games with each of the other 3, for a total of 6 games. This makes up round 1. You will then be randomly mixed up and again play 6 games with 3 different partners.
- Players are mixed based on a numbering system to help minimize duplication.
- There will be a 10-minute warmup prior to the first round at the start of the tryout and a 3-minute warmup prior to the other rounds.
- Play out first deuce in the game, if still tied at deuce, play one deciding point, receiver’s choice.
- Total your individual scores for each round and hand in to supervisor.
- All participants must stay until everyone has played the required number of rounds.
Selection will be based on meeting required team level based on PRO input. This will be announced later that day. If you do not make a team, you are welcome to try out for another one. If you do make a team, you can decline to be on that team HOWEVER you cannot tryout for another team.
Tryout Dates and Times
Note: some of the teams may be in a different division once the leagues finalize their divisions
- Monday April 20: 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Suggested Ranking level is 4.5 – 5.0
- Practices – Saturdays from 1 PM to 3 PM
- Games – Mondays at 7 PM
- Wednesday April 22: 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Suggested Ranking level is 3.5 – 4.0
- Practices – Sundays from 9 AM to 11 AM
- Games – Mondays at 7 PM
- Monday April 20: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Suggested Ranking level is 3.5 – 4.0
- Practices – Fridays from 9 AM to 11 AM
- Games – Wednesdays at 10 AM
- Tuesday April 21: 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM
- Suggested Ranking level is 3.5+
- Practices – Fridays from 1 PM to 3 PM switching to Fridays 9 AM to 11 AM after B1 season finishes.
- Games – Mondays at 9:30 AM
Womens makeup tryout: Sunday April 26: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Men’s Tennis Teams
- Tuesday April 21: 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM
- Suggested Ranking level is 4.0 – 5.0
- Practices – Sundays from 2 PM to 4 PM
- Games – Tuesdays at 7 PM
- Friday April 24: 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Suggested Ranking level is 3.5 – 4.5
- Practices – Saturdays from 3 PM to 5 PM
- Games – Thursdays at 7 PM starting
Men’s makeup tryout: Saturday April 25: 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM
2020 Match Play and Practice Guidelines
- Our objective is to have everyone enjoy the team experience as much as possible. That includes practices and matches.
- You practice with your team because it’s a team that goes on the courts every week to play matches, not individuals. If you don’t come to practice that week, there is a high likelihood you will not be in the lineup for the match.
- Once you commit to a team, you are committed to the daily/weekly decisions that are involved with that team even though some weeks you may not be happy.
- Your court is as important as any other court. A point on court 3 is the same as a point on court 1.
- We are all here to enjoy our tennis. Please treat people with respect, play the game and compete to win together.
- The role of the captains is to assign players to the teams and choose the weekly lineups in the best interest of the club and the teams – not the individuals. In addition, the captains are responsible for making sure that practices, matches (at home and away, scheduled and re-scheduled) and post-match meals run smoothly by communication with team members, opposing team captains, the league, and the club.
- The captains are not your coaches, nor are they the “best” tennis players on the team. They are volunteers who have committed a lot of time to the team so that we can all enjoy competitive doubles team tennis (as opposed to “social” or ladder tennis which is also available at the club).
- The captains have to make decisions every week. Those decisions are made with the team’s interest put first, not individuals.
- If you think that the team process or a particular decision is unfair, talk to your captain.
In 2020, all teams will continue to have coaching to help elevate their prowess. The coaching cost is $20 per person per 2-hour practice for a maximum of 8 weeks in May and June. It will cost no more than $160 per team member to be a part of the team. This will cover all professionally coached practices. Participation is voluntary but highly encouraged.