Annual Adult Club Tournament
2017 Adult Tournament Information, Rules and Regulations
- The Annual Adult Club Tournament events will commence on June 1st and continue until Finals’ Day on Saturday, September 23rd. Awards will be presented at the AGM and BBQ on Saturday, October 14th. To participate in the Club Tournament in any of the categories listed below players must be available to play their matches by the posted deadlines.
- Players entering Adult events must sign up before end of day on May 14th so that all event draws can be created and posted in the clubhouse and on-line for May 31st.
- Club tournament will consist of 10 brackets in the following categories and formats. A minimum of 4 entries in a category will be required or at the Tournament Manager’s discretion, a bracket of less than 4 may be held.
- Men’s Singles (A and B skill levels) – Double Elimination
- Women’s Singles (A and B skill levels) – Double Elimination
- Men’s Doubles (A and B skill levels) – Single Elimination
- Women’s Doubles (A and B skill levels) – Single Elimination
- Mixed Doubles (A and B skill levels) – Single Elimination
If a category has 4 or less participants, a round robin format will be played out over the course of the summer with the top two teams within the round robin playing off for the championship.
- Members 16 and over as of January 1st, 2017 may enter. Juniors who have previously won their Under 16 singles’ event, or the Junior Doubles event, may enter those Adult events, if they wish. Eligible Juniors who choose to enter Adult event(s) cannot also participate in the same category of event(s) at the Junior level.
- The draw sheets for all events will be posted and maintained in the clubhouse and on the website. As players advance through each event, the draw sheets will identify the pairings of opponents for each match/round and the latest date that each match/round must be completed by, in order for the tournament to remain on schedule through to the end. Attempt to play as soon as possible within the specified timeframe. It is understood that weather delays may occur in which case all impacted players should arrange to play as soon as possible.
WITH THE NEW DOUBLE ELIMINATION FORMAT FOR SINGLES, MORE MATCHES ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE BRACKET. WE STRONGLY URGE YOU TO COMPLETE YOUR MATCHES AS PROMPTLY AS POSSIBLE AND WITHIN THE REQUIRED TIME. Sample Bracket Below
- For all opening round matches the player whose name appears at the bottom of the pairing is responsible for contacting his or her opponent and scheduling a mutually convenient time to complete their match prior to the specified deadlines for subsequent rounds. Once the initial contact has been made failure by each player(s) to arrange their match by the deadline will result in the tournament director flipping a coin to determine the result. Please do not let it come to that.
For subsequent matches when an advancing player’s next round opponent is already identified on the draw sheets (i.e. their opponent previously played/won their match), the advancing player who completes the pairing is responsible for promptly contacting his/her opponent to schedule their match so that it will be completed within the deadlines identified on the draw sheets for each round.
- Winners must inform the Court Monitor in the clubhouse of the match results immediately upon completion of the match. If the clubhouse is closed, winners shall leave a message on the club’s answering machine (416.483.4546) on the day of the match. The Court Monitors will then record the score on the Tournament Draw sheets posted in the clubhouse and on the web. The player is still responsible for contacting the clubhouse during operating hours or checking the draw sheets on the web to identify their opponent for the following round.
- When booking a court for a tournament match identify that it is for tournament play. This ensures that the Tournament Director and the court monitors can easily see that all tournament events/rounds are proceeding smoothly and get involved to resolve scheduling difficulties that may jeopardize the successful progress of the tournament. Also, tournament players should generally book 2 hours to ensure matches are completed.
- Players should arrive for their matches 10 minutes prior to the start of their court booking and check-in at the clubhouse. Warm-up time is 10 minutes. Players who are more than 10 minutes late for a scheduled match will automatically forfeit the match and the opponent(s) that was on time will proceed to the next round.
- Initially matches will be Pro 10 (first to win 10 games) with a 7-point tiebreaker at 9-9 games. Semi-Finals and Finals will be best 2 out of 3 Sets, 7-point tiebreaker at 6-6.
- In the event of a rain interruption, play must start from the last point played. If possible, players should agree on a new date to resume the match at the time of the delay, or one player take the lead to reschedule it as soon as possible.
- No coaching or outside interference is allowed once a match has begun. If this occurs, the non-coached player has the right to immediately take the game (current game only) as his/her game won.
- Each participant will bring a NEW can of balls to each match. The winner of the match keeps the new balls for the next round and the loser keeps the used balls. Balls will be provided for the finals only!
- Please call the lines fairly and give the benefit of the doubt to your opponents for close calls. Rules shall follow Tennis Canada’s “Rules of the Court“. Watch those foot-faults!
- The Tournament Director’s decision is binding in case of any disputes.
- Tournament Morning – NEW FOR 2017! In an effort to both keep matches moving along as well as develop some social interaction around the tournament, a “Tournament Morning” will be held Sunday, June 18th from 8 AM to 12 PM. This will be a voluntary event designed to simplify the process for participants to arrange matches, as well as create a true fun tournament atmosphere. Participants will book their matches within designated time zones and matches will be played back to back. Refreshments will be provided.
- Finals Day – NEW FOR 2017! Saturday, September 23rd will be designated as Finals Day. All Brackets will be expected to have finished play on or before that day. Players and teams will be encouraged to schedule their final matches in designated time slots. This will encourage other members to join in the excitement of the Championship Matches. Players who are unable to play that Finals Day will be permitted to hold their match at a time that is convenient for both players as per normal tournament rules. The rain date will be Sunday, September 24th.
Enjoy the Tournament … May the Sun Shine and the Balls Bounce In!!!
If you have any questions, contact the clubhouse at 416.483.4546 or send an email to the Tournament Director, Michael Harvey.
Registration will be available at a later date.