You are receiving this email because you have subscribed to the Wanless Tennis broadcast email list. If you do not want to receive these emails from Wanless Tennis, click “unsubscribe” at the bottom of this email.
Welcome to the 2023 Season
We would like to extend a hearty welcome back to all returning members, and a welcome to new members on their first season at Wanless.
Adult membership is full for the 2023 season; Junior memberships remain uncapped and available for purchase throughout the season.
Mark Your Calendars — Upcoming Dates
- Saturday, April 1: Courts open for play, weather permitting, of course!
- Opening BBQ & Adult Round Robin Social: Saturday, May 6
- Spring House League: Registration April 10 to 23, matches from May 3 through June 14
- AGM: Saturday October 14
Hours of Operation
- The City has accepted our request to continue opening at 7:00 AM. As in previous years, this early start time is conditional upon there being no noise complaints from our neighbours.
- Our public hours will continue to be Saturdays and Sundays from 8 to 11 PM, and from 9 to 11 PM on all statutory holidays.
- Contact tracing and other COVID protocols are no longer required, so the clubhouse will revert to pre-COVID staffing hours: Monday to Friday from 3:45 to 10:15 PM, and from 8:00 AM to 7:15 PM on Weekends.
- Guests and non-members are welcome to play at Wanless. More information on guest and non-member play is available here.
Wanless Tennis has a number of exciting new and returning initiatives planned for our members in 2023.
- Adult Daytime Doubles Drop-Ins kick off Thursday April 20 from 10 AM to noon. No registration required, just drop by Courts 4 & 5 and a volunteer will match you up with similar level players. Pairings will be shuffled on the half hour to accommodate new players as they arrive and ensure that everyone gets an opportunity to play with as many members as possible.
- Friday Night Lights returns for its 3rd season, starting April 21
- Live Ball. Pre-registration is required each week. Intermediate players rated 2.5 – 3.5 should register for the 7 PM session, advanced players rated 3.5+ should register for the 8 PM session.
- Adult Drop-ins. No registration required, just show up. We’re starting with one court (Court 5) assigned at 7 PM and 8 PM for the Friday Night Drop-ins, but will adjust based on demand.
- New member ratings — we will continue to offer new members a free assessment with our instruction staff. This free assessment allows new members to validate their self-rating so that they can be properly scheduled in house league, ladders, and other Wanless activities and also provides them with an opportunity to be introduced to Wanless’ instruction programs. Times and dates for the free new member ratings will be as follows, and you can register here.
- Tuesday, April 18 from 1 PM – 2 PM
- Wed April 19, from 5 PM – 7 PM
- Thursday, April 20 from 6 PM – 8 PM
- Friday, April 21 from noon – 1 PM
- Griffin Brockman and Andre Romanovskiy have volunteered to chair the The New Member Committee this season and will assign an “ambassador” to all new members to help introduce them to the Club and all that it has to offer. If you are interested in becoming a “New Member Ambassador'' to help welcome new members to the club, email either Griffin or Andre. Members who joined the club in 2021 or 2022 make great New Member Ambassadors. You can also raise your hand to volunteer and help make Wanless be ever more successful.
- Adult and junior inter-club competitive leagues will run in the 2023 season. All leagues start in early May and typically finish in late June to middle of July. Detailed information will be sent out in the near future.
- The always popular Wanless tournament (club championships) will return mid-late summer. Stay tuned for details. Mark your calendar for Finals Day (Saturday, September 30 with a rain date of Sunday, October 1)
- The Wanless Cup was a tremendous success the past two seasons and will return this year. We anticipate the Wanless Cup will run in mid-to late August after the inter-club teams season has ended and before the club tournaments begin
Wanless Tennis Instruction Programs
Head Pro Laura Borza and her team have a full slate of group lessons available for all ages and abilities throughout the season. Many of these programs sell out, so don’t delay registering. Follow these links to learn more about the exciting programs available for adults and juniors:
Information on private and semi-private lessons is also available. Note that availability for private and semi-private lessons is greatest during daytime through the week.
We are pleased to announce that Richard Payne is returning to Wanless as our Club Manager for the 2023 season. Richard has been a member of Wanless since 2001, so will be a familiar face to many of you. Richard will be responsible for the smooth running of the club and will be supervising all of our Member Service Representatives. You can reach Richard through our website.
The Wanless Tennis website is there for you to get information on everything that the Club has to offer. Additionally, all members of the board are here to respond to your questions and concerns. Do not hesitate to reach out to us (you can send any of us an e-mail by clicking on the links provided at the bottom of every page of our website) or talk to us when we are out on the courts.
Enjoy the 2023 season!
The Wanless Community Tennis Club Board