Wanless Park Community Tennis Club Teams’ Policy
The very nature of a competitive team means that players compete for a position on the team. This Teams’ Policy assists Team Captains by enabling all players to feel that they have been given a fair and equitable opportunity to try out for a Wanless Team. It also establishes operating policies for each Wanless Team. The Wanless Park Community Tennis Club supports its Ladies, Men’s and Junior Teams.
- Participation on any team is open to all current Wanless Park Community Tennis Club members in good standing.
- The tryout process for all Wanless Teams will be managed by an external pro. The objective of the selection process is to field the strongest and most competitive team representatives in each level/league. The process is transparent with dates and times publicized on the Wanless website for all members who would like to try out. The selection process is based upon a player’s ability to commit to attend practice and be available for game dates (home and away) thus contributing to the overall team goals.
- The Toronto Tennis Leagues require each Club Team to have a Captain who is accountable to their Club and to their League. Selection may be on a volunteer basis or by a draw from members who will have been selected for the team. Once appointed, the Captain shall assume administrative and coaching responsibilities. The Junior Doubles Team Captains are selected by the Club Pro from the instruction base.
- Each Adult Team has up to 12 core members and some spares to ensure a full complement of players each week. Core members at a particular level are rotated into the playing schedule in an attempt to provide each player an equal number of playing opportunities throughout the season (assuming full availability of team members). Some players may be on the spare list by choice or due to inconsistent availability. Each Junior Team has 10 core members.
- All teams will have ongoing coaching throughout the season, paid for by the team members. The coach, along with the team captain, will ensure a fair process is followed for order of play for the team members.
- Each League has rules for all teams. Every member, including spares, must adhere to those rules. Visit Toronto Ladies Tennis League, Toronto Men’s Tennis League and Toronto Junior Doubles Tennis League websites for details.
- Regardless of the current advance booking policy, all Wanless Teams will have a priority booking of courts for the home matches. If any match should go over the alloted time slot, any members booking a court after a team match will be notified that their court time may be delayed. The teams also will have a 2 hour practice time slot once per week during the match season.
- Each Wanless team will be reimbursed for food/refreshments for each adult team home match in the amount of $12.50 per guest member. The receipts must be submitted to the Wanless Teams Director on a timely basis but no later than one week beyond the season ending. For Junior Doubles home matches, Wanless will cover the cost of pizza and refreshments.